Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Dating"

The weeks following Halloween, Jeff and I often found ourselves at each other's apartments and meeting up on campus. We found that one of my classes was next to his, so he would wait for me and we would spend the 10 minute passing period shivering in the cold and talking about nothing in particular. Friends and colleagues would see us standing there in the snow, laughing together and standing closer than necessary. They began to ask questions, to which I would shrug and say, "We'll see," with a huge grin that I couldn't seem to keep inside.

My texting skills improved every day and I began to let my note-taking slide as I spent entire class periods sending messages to Jeff and receiving them back. Once he sent me a message saying that a girl in his public speaking class had asked him on a date. Since we hadn't had a DTR yet (Define The Relationship... honestly, people, learn your acronyms), I wasn't sure how to respond to this fact. I suppose he could go with her if he wanted to. Yes, I would feel a bit betrayed by it, but I hadn't laid any claims on Jeff and until I did he was free to go out with whoever he wanted. Ignoring my chemistry lecture, I scrambled on my cell phone keys and replied.

Me: well, are you going?
Jeff: no
Me: why not?
Jeff: i told her i couldn't
Me: why not?
Jeff: b/c i was dating someone else
Me: i didn't know you were dating anyone
[I chuckled as I sent this one. I thought I was so funny.]
Jeff: i was talking about you
Jeff: funny girl
Me: oh, right
Me: is that what we're doing?
[long wait for the next message]
Jeff: if you have to ask, i'm not doing a very good job

The bell rang shortly after I read his reply. I bent over to put my notebook in my backpack, hoping no one would notice my flushed face. The rest of the day, I let his words replay over and over again. Funny how I could hear him saying the words even though they had never been said aloud. I wondered how I was going to pass any of my classes this semester given this rate of concentration.

That evening I hurried home, hoping I might receive a call or text from Jeff inviting me over than night. The days were getting shorter, and I wanted to get home before dark. I made my way from the Talmage building to the library, passing through every building I could to stay warm. From the library I cut across the quad and through the Wilkinson Center, then headed south along a campus road toward my apartment. I glanced at the phone in my hand to make sure I hadn't missed a call. Nothing. I was still looking at my phone when I put my key in the lock and opened the door. If I hadn't dropped my keychain, I probably wouldn't have noticed the wrapped bunch of daisies sitting on my doorstep.

Daisies? They probably weren't for me, but my heart skipped a beat and I knew they had to be. I looked around to see if the deliverer was still around, but I was alone. Hesitantly, I picked them up and stepped inside. Cautiously, I turned the bouquet around, looking for a note or card of some kind. Tucked deep inside the mass of white petals, I found what I was looking for. It didn't say much, but my name was on it and I recognized Jeff's handwriting.

Feeling a thanks was due, I flipped open my phone and punched the keys:

thx for the flowers

While I waited for a response I took my coat off, heated up some leftovers, and pulled up my email. When my phone played its text jingle, I smiled in spite of myself. I read:

ur welcome. want to come watch a movie?

In one fluid motion I shut my computer, tossed my dishes in the sink, grabbed my coat, and sent a reply.

b right there

I didn't even bother to leave a note for my roommates. They knew how to find me. Finally, it was my turn to be gone every night. And I was loving it.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I'm in love with you both!

Byron Mackay said...

What was your graduating GPA? Okay, just making sure.

Kristin Coppee said...

LOL. Love Byron's comment. What would we do without brothers to give us a reality check now and then?

Okay, I'm loving it! I literally felt the giddiness from back in the day when I dated guys and felt all of the unsurety. I love it! I miss it sometimes.

And yes, I do know what DTR is. Who doesn't? Seriously, people!

Joseph and Amy Katschke said...

Very fun! I know it is Christmas time and you must be very busy, but it was about time for an update! Keep them coming, I am really becoming a fan!